9 Common lies . . . Family Business Founders Tell Themselves
1. Family members will appreciate the opportunities the family business provides.
2. We can keep the business separate from the family.
3. Our sacrifices demand loyalty . . . to the business.
4. I built it, they should follow my lead.
5. Lack of conflict is a sign the family is doing well.
6. Our family can avoid misunderstandings and hurt relationships.
7. Planning for succession means we don't need to think about "exit plans" or winding down the business.
8. You can't leave the family, but leaving the business is a simple process.
9. You don't tell yourself lies about the family business.